Skip to main content

A New Journey

My little one is not such a little one anymore, Nishka has now started school. The run up has been occupied with uniform shopping and home visits, while still juggling other commitments, writing especially. As the big day dawned closer certain emotions got conjured up in me, resulting in  the following poem of the same title as the post:

A New Journey

It is hard for me to perceive
A child I once could not conceive,
Is now all grown
and stepping into the world alone.

I had my fears
over the last few years
trials and tribulations out of the blue,
but we got through.

Of what she had to endure
has made her mature,
This journey is an easy ride
In comparison to the high tide.

She has already done me proud
and stood out from the crowd.
Made of stern stuff
when times have been tough.

A trait I never had
of this strength in her I am glad.
For this journey she is ready
but life is not steady.

She keeps me strong
when things go wrong.
But the world is a cruel place
How will she run the race.

She is human after all
And we all take a fall.
But each and every endeavour
we will face together.



Comments

  1. A very honest, and emotional poem. Thought provoking too, I wish your daughter the very best on her journey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Maria. It has been an emotional week, my poems about Nishka tend to be very sentimental. That is why I think I may struggle to read them out at the writer's Group in case I burst into tears.

      Delete
  2. Perhaps best not to bring them too often then otherwise we will have to have a huge box of tissues at the ready. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Post Christmas Recovery Kit!

 To say this year is a festive season like no other is a massive understatement! Without a pandemic the festive period for separated families can be a time of doom and gloom. It is with this in mind I decided to release my current book " The Post-Divorce Recovery Kit" just before Christmas.  In 2014 I published " The Divorce Toolbox" which focused more on the legal proceedings around divorce, aimed at people who were at the decision-making stage of divorce or going through court proceedings. My current book looks more closely at ways of supporting children through the process. I have included a chapter about " The difficult firsts" where I have shared my story about Christmas away from my daughter for the first time.  As the festive period continues there is now the pandemic to factor in. If there are still difficulty with the non-resident parent, it will be even harder to make decisions and reach an agreement. I have also included a section about work...

Leave my idol alone!

My blog has been up and running for about four months now. Being a hardcore Madonna fan I feel on my part, it is very rude that this is only the second post I have done. However I can make up for it and I feel this post is a must. I have been following Madonna's MDNA tour and have been rather annoyed at the bad press my idol has been getting. Elton John has made comments that her career is over. If that is the case how do tickets for Madonna's concerts sell out so quickly. The cynics out there are always quick to pick on negatives and critisise people, but do not want to acknowledge the positives. Madonna is fifty plus and in her shows she sings, acts, dances and plays guitar. If anyone has ever seen the documentaries In Bed with Madonna and I'm Going To tell You A Secret, Madonna is very much at the forefront of the creative process of actually putting her shows together. People just want to critisise but fail to even acknowledge all these finer points. Madonna does no...

Back at The Y as a triple act!

I will be back at The Y in Leicester for the third time on Thursday June 20th at 7:30pm. This time not only will I be performing brand new material, I will also be introducing a collaborative project I have been working on, with two up and coming Indian classical musicians, Akash Parekh on Sitar and Rishii Chowdhury on Tabla. The three of us have formed together and called ourselves "Mayapee and the Half Moon Circle Nuts".  In October last year I put a couple of posts on my blog about this talented duo and it is a privilege to be working with them . Akash and Rishii have worked with various different artistes and between them have training in Indian Classical music and Western music. With the diverse knowledge the three of us bring to the table, we thought it would be very exciting to work together. The title of our piece is called " Burning a Dream" which explores the issue of bullying through poetry and Indian classical music. The raga's ( compositions)...