Skip to main content

The 2014 I created.

With just a few hours to go till we say goodbye to 2014 I have bitter sweet memories of this year. It has certainly been an eventful year especially in terms of my personal life. Many events sparked off my best creative work, the highlight being the publication of my first self help book The Divorce Toolbox.

On the creative front it has been a very productive year where I pushed the boundaries further on the literary front.  I did a total of eight performances this year including Indian Summer and more recently the Human Rights in Art and Film festival. Not all my performances were spoken word. I stuck to my news years resolution of taking up music again when I gave a semi classical vocal performance in October for an Assamese event. My contribution to the Phoenix Writers Group anthology led to me anchoring the launch event back in October.

At many of these events existing publications were well received with the books I sold. I mentioned Divorce Toolbox earlier, this book also lead to me being invited to give a radio interview in November.

My creative endeavours have not just involved writing and music but also a business venture and developing new skills and hobbies. This is the year I planted seeds of business aspirations when I started working as an Ambassador for Tropic Skincare which has also improved my ongoing skin conditions.

I am not that far from reaching the big 4 0 which like a lot of people has made me put together a bucket list, there are two things I can certainly  tick off. I learnt  how to use a sewing machine when I attended an all day sewing workshop back in May and made a cushion. Something I intend to do more of in 2015.

Last year to support Nishka  I took up the Martial Art Taekwondo, something which I have been meaning to do for  while, following my teenage half baked Karate beginnings. My teacher felt i was doing so well that I got put forward for my first grading, which got me promoted to yellow tag in June. My first physical exam in nearly twenty years.

Phew that's quite a lot actually this really has been a confidence restoring exercise. This is the time of year when people reflect on the twelve months gone and often feel disheartened. If you actually sit down and  reflect you will find you have achieved more than you think. A majority of my time got spent on very soul destroying and often mundane challenges that actually made me feel at times drained of creative impulses. Writing this post has actually made me realise my own strength of character. The turbulence in my personal life did not actually kill off my dreams, maybe without knowing it a fire got sparked off in me to do better.

Just to wish all my readers lots of light and positivity to make your dreams come to true in 2015. Do not let anybody stand in your, I certainly haven't. This is the year when i had strips torn off me but nobody has been able to break me. Let your problems make you not break you. Happy new year.







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leave my idol alone!

My blog has been up and running for about four months now. Being a hardcore Madonna fan I feel on my part, it is very rude that this is only the second post I have done. However I can make up for it and I feel this post is a must. I have been following Madonna's MDNA tour and have been rather annoyed at the bad press my idol has been getting. Elton John has made comments that her career is over. If that is the case how do tickets for Madonna's concerts sell out so quickly. The cynics out there are always quick to pick on negatives and critisise people, but do not want to acknowledge the positives. Madonna is fifty plus and in her shows she sings, acts, dances and plays guitar. If anyone has ever seen the documentaries In Bed with Madonna and I'm Going To tell You A Secret, Madonna is very much at the forefront of the creative process of actually putting her shows together. People just want to critisise but fail to even acknowledge all these finer points. Madonna does no

A Real Life Yummy Mummy Photo Shoot.

All these gossip magazines are full of praise for how amazing people like Victoria Beckham look. People forget about the full entourage of nannies, make up artistes etc that she has. They say every picture tells a story and so far all my blog profile pictures have done this.  This recent picture was taken by a talented photographer friend of mine, Tony Lyons who I mentioned a few posts back. I raided my ever expanding wardrobe and chose all the outfits myself and did my own hair and make up. This was along with making breakfast for and getting a four and a half year old ready to drop off at childminders. I certainly was not chauffeur driven. After I dropped Nishka off at Childminders I went to the Writers Group then made my way to Tony's for the photo shoot. The photo shoot itself was fun, creative and collaborative. I am not a natural poser and actually do not like having my picture taken but Tony put me at ease. Also I do not like smiling when I am forced to and like to look

Candid Comeback

  Finally made my long awaited comeback! With events building up to the gig I wondered if I would pull it all together on the day. The weeks leading up to the big day were certainly eventful. I'm slowly getting multi tasking down to a fine Art. The preparation for the show was juggled between  school runs, parents evenings, doing homework with Nishka and of course my dreaded court case. On the day I mixed my backing track with my friend Tony, I was switching between mixing the track and going through a statement with my Lawyer for a court hearing. Two days before the performance I was actually in court. When I look back on all this now,  I feel I have more resilience than I credited myself with. On the morning of the show I woke up feeling excited about the day ahead and really soaked up all the events. Before collecting Nishka from school I even found time to do my nails! Once I collected Nishka and her childminder I gave Nishka her dinner, got her settled with homework an